Monday, April 18, 2011

our God saves

i've been reading through the old testament, (slowly, but surely), and i really like it. some people bash the old testament, saying it's boring or hard to understand. there are many things i love about the old testament, but the recurring theme that i see this time around: our God saves.

again and again and again, the israelites find themselves in peril. and again and again and again, God rescues them, He saves them. He doesn't save them because they are good; He saves them because He is good. in isaiah 48, God declares that it is for His name that he delays wrath. but God doesn't do that because His people are obedient to the core; He does it to bring glory to Himself.


wow.



but God still saves. and not just from bad situations. He saves our souls! this is what blows my mind. He raises souls from the death to life, not because people are so good, but to bring glory to His name. 

and to that i say two things:
1) rightfully so! He's the one doing the work, He should get all the credit and glory.
2) (insert silence here).

i can use many words to describe how gratefully i am that He saves, but no word seems adequate. instead, silence and humble submission seem best. i am overwhelmed that He would choose to save me. me. does He really know my utterly wicked self? yes. and He still saves me? yes.



 "'The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
 my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield, and the horn of my salvation,
   my stronghold and my refuge,
   my savior; you save me from violence.
I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised,
   and I am saved from my enemies.'"
2 Samuel 22:2-4


"...yet I will rejoice in the LORD;
    I will take joy in the God of my salvation."
Habakkuk 3:18



"For it was fitting that he, for whom and by whom all things exist, 
in bringing many sons to glory, should make the founder of 
their salvation perfect through suffering.
Hebrews 2:10



"After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, 
"Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!" 
And all the angels were standing around the throne and around the elders and 
the four living creatures, and they fell on their faces before the throne and worshiped God"
Revelation 7:9-11





Hear the joyful sound of our offering
As your saints bow down, as your people sing
We will rise with You, lifted on Your wings
And the world will see that
Our God saves, our God saves
There is hope in Your name

No comments: