Saturday, May 29, 2010

important lesson

i spent some time reading and praying through 1 corinthians. during my time overseas, it became even more real and beautiful. one section stuck out to me vividly.

 "For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them. To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings.
 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified."


 i must be disciplined. i must be self-controlled. i must exercise discipline in all things. 


i suck at this. i live in the realm of freedom and american attitude of "i do what i want, shoot." but how wrong is this? how unbiblical is this attitude? 

overseas, we spent a lot of time saying "it's mental." too true is this statement, whether hiking for six hours or being asked to eat a third plate of rice. it is mental.

but i must continue this attitude in the states. this is a season of training and of readying not just my mind and soul for the future, but my body. it is going to be hard, but i do not run aimlessly. i am disciplined for the cause of Christ, for the sake of the gospel. what other cause do i need?

i ask for your prayers. i never last long when i set out to be disciplined in the physical realm. pray that i will stay focused on the cause; that i will be dedicated to the race i am running.



until next time.

No comments: