Sunday, December 26, 2010

2011

the new year is fast approaching, and i've spent a lot of time reflecting on this past year and the year to come. again, the Lord has revealed to me my lack of discipline in most areas of life, and my complaining and selfish attitude revealed hyperly in the past six months.

so this year, i want this to be different. i long for things to be different. this year, i want to sit in awe and wonder of this God who loves me deeply. but my longing can only get so far. i need to be intentional. i need to be focused. i need much grace. my hope is that i can enter this new year with a new resolve. this coming year, i long to be truly resolved in my pursuit of God, recognizing that it is only His grace that will allow me to do so.

(before i enter this next section, i want to make a disclaimer. by no means do i think that my actions will earn me more favor with God or bring me salvation. i don't think that doing these things is a requirement for anyone. however, i know that doing them is a part of faith and that the Lord has commanded and required certain things in life. these "goals" are a mere reflection of that.)

Goals for 2011:
  • spending increasing amounts of time with the Father daily, including prayer and silence.
  • interceding fervently for loved ones and lost ones daily.
  • memorizing intetional and "important" sections of scripture consistently.
  • reading a book a month.
  • fb only on sundays
  • reducing the amount of tv i watch to four hours a week (still too much, but i gotta start somewhere)
  • fasting weekly
i say none of these things to seek applause or bring glory to myself. in fact, i hope it does the opposite. i am weak. i am useless. but God has chosen me, a fool, to shame the wise. i hope this endeavor will bring much glory to God and much joy to me.

here is some scripture that i hope will continue to encourage and strengthen me through this coming year:

Psalm 86:11
"Teach me your way, O LORD,  that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name."

Proverbs 3:5-8
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones."

Philippians 1:27, 29
"Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ...For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake"

Philippians 3:8
"Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord..."

Philippians 4:8
"...whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."




to God be the glory!

No comments: