Thursday, March 26, 2009

what a sweet treasure

i can't remember if i've blogged about this before, but earlier in the semester, i was heavily convicted of my idolization of culture. i cutlure can so easily take the place of God in my life because it is so tangeable. i pray that God is continually stripping me of this sin and leading me to repentance and renewal.

yesterday i listened to a brother paul sermon regarding matthew 13:43-44:

"Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear. 'The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field....'"

it was contrasted with Matthew 19:16,21-22

"And behold, a man came up to him, saying, 'Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?' ... Jesus answered, 'If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.' When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth."

this is why i go. among the affluence of america, i do not want to turn into the man of great wealth who seemingly did good in the eyes of God-but mostly others-when in reality and i have betrayed the cause of Christ. Jesus Christ is a precious treasure and i long to make His name known among the nations! oh, that my focus would return to Him not just in moments of crisis or times to glorify myself, but in everything. oh Lord, help me to value Christ more and more, so that i will be able not just to sell everything, but "risk" everything for the sake of Your name, confident in and sure of Your faithfulness!

No comments: